In honor of National Coffee Day 2018 on September 29, the NCA is taking 25% off all of the NCA 2018 Coffee Snapshot Reports.
Drawing on over 60 years of industry research, a new series of NCA Market Snapshots take a closer look at the factors shaping the US coffee market in 2018 – and beyond.
Here are 10 stats from the latest NCA research on coffee industry trends:
1. US coffee drinkers consume about 3 cups a day on average (research suggests that potential health benefits peak between 3-5).
2. In 2018, total past day tea penetration was at 48% (compared to 63% for coffee)
3. 51% of past day coffee drinkers only drank gourmet coffee.
4. In 2018, 36% consumed a coffee that was prepared out-of-home…
5. … while 79% consumed a coffee prepared at home.
6, 45% of past-day coffee drinkers drank coffee prepared with a drip machine, which remains the most common method for brewing coffee (despite a steady decline).
7. 85% of Americans say they are very/somewhat satisfied with the brewing options in their workplace coffee area.
8. One-fifth of consumers say they are much more likely to buy coffee that is ‘grown on farms that treat workers well’ and ‘grown in an environmentally sustainable way.’
9. 62% of Americans agree that it is important to limit their caffeine intake.
10. 69% of Americans report that they have not heard of any studies related to coffee consumption and disease prevention.
Learn more about the NCA Coffee Market Snapshot Reports.